Monday, August 26, 2013

It's True-August 26, 2013

It's true, thanks to UV rays that damage my skin, I now have a lovely tan-line from my lamanite sandals...at first I though it was just dirt but when I applied scrubbin' WHAMO it didn't come off. Kinda like being converted to the gospel, if we expose ourselves enough to the Sun/Son (Christ and his teachings) eventually our testimonies won't be scrubbed away by the temptations and trials that afflict us. anywho...here's how this week went:D

We had an apt out at McBee (which they pronounce Mac-bee) and it went super great. The girl (who was formerly excommunicated because she wouldn’t marry her boyfriend) really wants to come back, and her new boyfriend seemed pretty open to it all, especially after learning he could relate to Joseph Smith. On our way back, we stopped at Mcleods (pronounced McClouds). It’s a famous place that sells baked goods and produce. Outside taking a picture with a giant peach and strawberry we started talking to a young couple. When he asked “do y’all have a little time” little did we know what his intentions were. In a nice way he started using obscure LDS doctrine along with BOM scriptures and Bible scriptures to prove where the Mormon church went wrong. He tried all sorts of tactics, but me n Makin didn’t sweat it, we responded with simple answers from our doctrine along with references from the BOM and Bible to back up what we said, but they wouldn’t be persuaded. After bearing testimony multiple times and after about 30min of trying to help them understand, I knew there wouldn’t be much progression here. Highlight of the conversation was when he asked if we’ve even read the Bible, to which we honestly responded “yes”, Sis Makin threw it back in his direction asking about the BOM to which he (of course) answered “no”. So there we stood, with the invitation to read the BOM and then pray to God if it was true, he told us he would, but instead of saying he’d pray about it he said he’d compare it with the bible *FACE PALM* silly silly people. I just hope he reads it and has his heart softened. BUT-I was excited to walk away with my first experience of someone who wanted to bible bash, and I’m very grateful for the kind and open minded people of Hartsville that we’re teaching now. OH YEAH! I also got to try boiled peanuts from Mcleods-they’re not half bad. I wouldn’t CRAVE them, but I’d willingly eat them again.
 Tammy is my favorite! When we went over to teach her today-her excitement from church had just grown! She kept telling us about how much she loved church because it gave her such a good feeling. She went on about how she did the reading we gave her and wanted to do more, and felt bad about reading anything else, and how she just couldn’t wait for our appointment today, she said she was looking out the window anxiously waiting for us to come. During the lesson she kept going back to how happy she is, and she’s never felt this feeling before. We taught her the word of wisdom, and she drinks tea and has smoked since she was 12 but straight up told us “but I’ve always wanted to stop, yeah I can do it”. She told us we’re like her little angels helping her out telling her what to do, and how she wants to make it up to our level. I’ll have to try and explain it to her how it’s not us, it’s entirely the spirit and we’re just blessed enough for God to allow us to teach you through us. She’s seriously one of those typical missionary stories you hear about. 
This week went by so fast! seriously can't believe that my first transfer is almost over. 
Love y'all tons, and something I'm learning from the southerners isssss, that if you have an old couch/chair/desk don't throw it away just make a big bonfire in your backyard and burn it. Seriously though, people do it all the time here. 
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
Sister Lindsay Mae Smith
I love being a missionary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment